Let's fix: the chat lag

Voice your bugs/glitches encounters or workarounds you find. While this forum is unofficial, we welcome Disney developers to stop by to help.
Kender
Captain

Let's fix: the chat lag

Post#1 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:58 am

Here's challenge for those who have decompiled the game: find the cause of the chat lag that was introduced two or three updates ago.

The bug is extremely annoying (especially on slower devices) and can very easily be reproduced:
1. Start the game
2. Open the chat window
3. Lag occurs
4. Close chat
5. Tap on a building and select 'move'
6. Tap 'done' at the top.
7. Repeat from step 2

Let's use this thread to discuss the code, api and chat proxy communication.
SONS_OF_DEATH http://squadsofdeath.com
Global Squad War Ranking http://squadsofdeath.com/squadranking

JNDUFF
Cadet Trooper

Re: Let's fix: the chat lag

Post#2 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:55 am

What about those of us who can't use the chat at all?...write message, post it but no one else in the clan can see it...invisible to all except the one who posted...makes communication during war impossible.

BertO
Major General

Post#3 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:48 pm

FIX THE CHAT LAG! Two Minutes to see squad chat. Caused by the logging of squad donations. Please fix.

Experiment to see if Devs do really read the forums
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Live long and prosper.

spiderx
Commodore

Post#4 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:40 am

I heard that not all squads experience this lag - and thats why devs do not see it ("can not reproduce" and suggest to create a new squad)
Rebel HQ10. Base score: 2957 of 2964.
Favorite SWC website: www.star-wars-commander-info.com

DeathStriker

Post#5 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:49 am

SUGGESTION: Identify Game Devices Experiencing and Not Experiencing The Chat Lag.

Obviously, older devices may experience this issue more than say newer devices, but perhaps a List of reported devices could help narrow down whom will and will not most likely see the game chat lag "issue"

I don't use the Game Chat "Feature" much, so I am not much help, but that said, I have seen on occasion a "delay" in the transmission of a Squad Donation Request appearing on another Squad Members game device.

I have attributed this mostly to Game Server Lag in processing requests, and not something related to the Game Client software.

GAME DEVICES I USE:

1. iPad Pro
  2. iPad Air 2nd Generation
Hope this helps...

Death_Striker is looking for Level 1-7 Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

spiderx
Commodore

Post#6 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:52 am

I use iPhone 7 Plus and iPad Air 2 and both experience the chat opening lag. The device model is not essential for the lag.
I noticed that the lag depends on a squad. The lag is different in duration in different squads.

spiderx
Commodore

Post#7 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:59 am

As I remember, the chat lag was introduced with squad wars history tab.
It seems that devs do not know "lazy loading" coding technique and load all data of all chat tabs at once before opening the chat. Even if additional tabs wont be used by user.

Valiant
Commodore

Post#8 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:06 am

spiderx wrote:As I remember, the chat lag was introduced with squad wars history tab.
It seems that devs do not know "lazy loading" coding technique and load all data of all chat tabs at once before opening the chat. Even if additional tabs wont be used by user.

Hmm now this is interesting.
This would explain why some say it is squad related as the more active your squad has been in war the longer the history will be and you would have it updating more often.

This line of thought may be helpful for the OP - it's not a discussion of the code but would point us in a direction to look.

Let's try this:
If everyone can please provide the following data based on this little test - won't take long to find a correlation
Next time you log into the game fresh (after a hard close or an extended close) try to open your chat box and time it then post this for us.
1) device you use
2) which version windows or ios/andorid
3) faction Rebel or Empire
4) length of time it takes chat to open
5) number of squad wars matches your squad has competed in

DeathStriker

Post#9 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:13 am

Valiant wrote:Let's try this:
If everyone can please provide the following data based on this little test - won't take long to find a correlation
Next time you log into the game fresh (after a hard close or an extended close) try to open your chat box and time it then post this for us.

{snip}

Valiant - Great Suggestion! :D

Death_Striker is looking for Level 1-7 Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

spiderx
Commodore

Post#10 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:55 am

Lag: 22 seconds.

iPad Air 2, iOS 10.2.
Rebel squad, 29 members.
20 war entries in tab. 75 wars registered by rankings website (means - more if including wars happened before ranking website started).
Perks tab: squad level 48.
Btw, the lag is shortened in last few updates. It was measured 50 seconds 2 months ago. They truncated war list or smth.

Return to “Bugs and Glitches (iOS/Android)”