Joining Squad That Requires LINE App - Discussion Topic

All Squad Wars related topics. Questions, comments, issues, shout outs, call outs.
Diablogrunt
Captain

Joining Squad That Requires LINE App - Discussion Topic

Post#1 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 pm

Squad join question

When checking info for a new squad the description says must have LINE. What does this mean?
Last edited by DeathStriker on Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Topic Title To Better Reflect Topic - Added Original Title to Main Topic Post

CoolGuy
Admiral

Re: Squad join question

Post#2 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:00 pm

You must have the Line App which is a communications app available on most platforms. Most squads use this to communicate outside of the game, and there are also lots of SWC groups dealing with tactics and Squad Wars.
Windows refugee with the Rogue Ewok group. Killing the Empire since 2015.
Come and visit us at RogueEwokReturn

GeneralTosh
Captain

Post#3 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:02 pm

In the context of squads, the word "LINE" refers to LINE, a communications app available on most mobile platforms. LINE is similar to Whatsapp, Google Hangouts, and Messenger: they all are a form of social media enabling people to engage in conversations with one another.

By requiring the LINE app, squads mean that you must have downloaded or will download the LINE app to enable effective communication between squad members, especially during wars.

LINE does not require your mobile phone number as far as I know, which explains why many players use LINE for gaming-related communications.

Member of ELITE_UNITED
Join us for DAILY WARS

ObiWanKenobi2016
Grand Admiral

Post#4 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:57 am

Diablogrunt wrote:When checking info for a new squad the description says must have LINE. What does this mean?

LINE is a messaging app like WhatsApp, save that it does not require you to reveal your real name or phone number to those you communicate with. It is free to download for iOS, Android, Mac and PC.

Some squads use other apps like Discord, but LINE is by far the most popular messaging app used by the Star Wars Commander community. Players have created chat rooms on LINE that help with a variety of aspects of the game, including Squad Wars, Heroic Defences, how to use certain units, etc. They can also contact Squad Wars opponents to negotiate variations on squad wars to make them more interesting, eg competing with out the outposts.

The reason why many squads (if not almost all successful ones) require members to use LINE is that it enables squad members to communicate more effectively. The in-game chat has a bizarre list of prohibited words that cannot be used, including 'participate'. This really gets in the way. LINE allows messages longer than 140 characters, and the messages don't disappear after a short time, when the squad is busy. Links can be provided to websites or YouTube videos that can assist with game play or strategy. It also enables people to communicate when not playing the game.

One of the key reasons Squads use LINE is to co-ordinate for Squad Wars. Members with attacks left can be contacted and alerted when the opposing team takes an outpost (the game's notifications are erratic), co-ordinated attacks can be prepared (eg commanders a, b & c will retake the outposts so that commanders d, e, f, and g can make attacks).

Use of LINE app (or other messaging app) makes a win/lose difference in Wars, enables a lot more advice and strategy to be shared and provides a huge boost to squads that use it. Which is why so many squads require it.

The main selling points are that it is free, and you don't need to reveal your real name or phone number to use it.
HQ Prestige - Sons of Death & Midnight Mob

You must do what you think is right, of course.

Diablogrunt
Captain

Post#5 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:42 am

I am playing Commander on PC with emulator. I assume I would use line on my cell phone? If so, could it be voice or does it have to be text? I am not a texting person so this is not appealing.

GeneralTosh
Captain

Post#6 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:48 am

Diablogrunt wrote:I am playing Commander on PC with emulator. I assume I would use line on my cell phone? If so, could it be voice or does it have to be text? I am not a texting person so this is not appealing.

You would use LINE on your cell phone, although I’m aware that microsoft allows the use of the app on its computers.

Voice chat works in the form of calls or short on-the-spot recordings sent out immediately to the chat. So yes, you can use voice chat. However, words work best for quick glances.

Member of ELITE_UNITED
Join us for DAILY WARS

DeathStriker

Post#7 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:52 am

Diablogrunt wrote:I am playing Commander on PC with emulator. I assume I would use line on my cell phone? If so, could it be voice or does it have to be text? I am not a texting person so this is not appealing.

Diablogrunt - LINE is available in Microsoft Store here for Install on PC. **There is also a MacOS Version here.

:arrow: You could simply use 2 different Windows, one for LINE and one for Game (emulator), SO... No need to use Phone.

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 5+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

Diablogrunt
Captain

Post#8 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:24 am

But if on computer I would have to text rather than voice?

Shelendil
Grand Admiral

Post#9 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:17 am

99% of people using line for gaming use the text function rather than voice anyway.
ShadyRebels24
You know you wanna be shady ;)

Diablogrunt
Captain

Post#10 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:33 pm

LIne is a totally lame app - wants a phone number which my tablet does not have and rejects separate cell phone number - guess I will just have to stick with my lame squad that does not require line.

Return to “Squad Wars Discussions”