Squad wars ranking site thread

All Squad Wars related topics. Questions, comments, issues, shout outs, call outs.
Kender
Captain

Squad wars ranking site thread

Post#1 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:48 am

*** http://squadsofdeath.com/squadranking ***

A global ranking and info site for all Android/iOS squad war participants.

Change log:

Jan 8th 2017:
- Added player search by Sergey Pariev
- Added json API
Request ranking, stats, history or member pages with an Accept header that accepts json to get machine-readable results. If this is going to be misused/overloaded I will remove it again.

Dec 29th 2016:
- Squad member overview columns are now sortable.

dec 25th 2016:
- Removed all 45-45 results from the rating mechanism.
- Replaced base strength with reputation in the ranking.
- Added stats sidebar to members pages.

oct 29th 2016:
- Applied bugfix for faction swapping players not showing up in squad member list.

oct 16th 2016:
- Changed predict feature to use ranking in stead of skill comparison.

oct 15th 2016:
- Added feature to predict upcoming war results by comparing two squads.

oct 8th 2016:
- Added to GitHub: https://github.com/Kender2/swc-squadranking

sept 24th 2016:
- Added skill points to main ranking table.
- Added average base strength to squads.
- Added base strength table (see F.A.Q.)
- Formatted all number output.

sept 18th 2016:
- Fixed bug in stats totals
- Renamed base score to base strength and sorted members by it

sept 17th 2016:
- Added stats page
- Updated F.A.Q.
- Add HQ to member list. Hidden some columns on small devices.
- Add timeout to droid to avoid hangs.
- Modified skill difference calculation to include sigma adjustment.

sept 10th 2016:
- Small tweak to the algorithm (less conservative with 2*σ in stead of the previous 3*σ adjustment).
- War history now shows relative skill of opponent at time of war in stead of current rank.
- War history now shows the impact each battle had on your skill score.

sept 3rd 2016:
- A new tab besides War History now shows information on Squad Members.
- The War History is now sorted in reverse chronological order. Your latest battles are now on top.
- A few more F.A.Q.'s have been added.
- Some minor tweaks to the tables for different sized phones.

-------------------------
TODO:
- More statistics on stats page. Like trends over time. Other suggestions?
- Implement column sorting (on squad member and war history pages)
- Add search squad by member function (any other ideas on how to find the asian character squads?)
Last edited by DeathStriker on Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Reason: Added Change Log Update to Main Thread Post
- SONS_OF_DEATH http://squadsofdeath.com
- Global Squad War Ranking: http://squadsofdeath.com/squadranking

awesome777
Commodore

Re: Official Squad Wars Ranking site thread

Post#2 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:52 am

Kender wrote:*** http://squadsofdeath.com/squadranking ***

The Squad Wars Ranking site just got updated:
- A new tab besides War History now shows information on Squad Members.
- The War History is now sorted in reverse chronological order. Your latest battles are now on top.
- A few more F.A.Q.'s have been added.
- Some minor tweaks to the tables for different sized phones.

I was just going to ask was it possible to add squad members to it.
Sadly, I just left my squad (and joined back) to do some things about recruiting, and because of that I'm at the bottom. Makes me look like a newbie, but that's my own personal problem lol.
Great website, and looks really great as well in terms of looks as well. Keep up the good work.
Last edited by awesome777 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
:D Join BrowncoatsWash for instant donations, great wars, and no drama. PM for more info. :D
HQ 8. Uncharted territory.

Euph
Commodore

Post#3 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:42 am

Huh. I see that members are ranked in the order by which they joined. Interesting that the info for that is hidden away in the data.

Nice work!
Sith-Society iOS/Android Imperial Squad
Mature HQ10. Immature meat-bag.
[sound of Kubaz laughing]

BertO
Major General

Post#4 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:46 am

Really makes any of us who have gone visiting to cure chat lag look lousy.

And Kender probably best not to use the word "official", makes it sound like the site is official more so than the thread. I thought DI had made their own version of your site for a minute.
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Live long and prosper.

DeathStriker

Re: Squad Wars Ranking Database

Post#5 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:19 am

⇨ NOTE: I did a review of the URL as part of my Moderator Duties. Right now the URL is "approved" but subject to change if the linked website changes is such a way as to violate Forum Rules (currently being worked on).

1. First of all, to everyone whom worked on the Squad Wars Ranking Databases, GREAT JOB! :D
2. Can any explain "where" the "data" is being pulled from?
3. SUGGESTION: Squad War Ranking List Improvement.

1. Currently the Statistics (as of this Posting) show this:

Statistics
    • Squads in database: 14,354
    • Wars in database: 80,433
    • Latest battle: 32 minutes ago
  2. Proposed / Suggested Change:

Statistics
    • Squads in database: 14,354
    • Rebel Squads in Database: VALUE
    • Empire Squads in Database: VALUE
    • Wars in database: 80,433
    • Rebel Squad Wars in Database: VALUE
    • Empire Squad Wars in Database: VALUE
    • Latest battle: 32 minutes ago
I will continue to monitor this Thread and the related website...

Obliterating Empire Bases is not only our Prime Mission but is how we have FUN!

awesome777
Commodore

Re: Squad Wars Ranking Database

Post#6 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:54 am

Please don't add any forum rules that prohibit cursing. Sometimes I need to express my feelings in a more angry manner than I did on playdom.

And that's why I think no rules should be added at all. This forum was made for the players by the players. Playdom was great, but its over now, and so are the shackles of constraint were lifted from us. We need to able to post peoples name if they are cheating, we need to post links to stuff if we need to. What I love about these forums is that they we are allowed to say whatever we want, and express our opinion truthfully.

Rules will still be added, but I love the way these forums are set up now, and would love to keep it that way.
:D Join BrowncoatsWash for instant donations, great wars, and no drama. PM for more info. :D
HQ 8. Uncharted territory.

Sixace
Captain

Re: Squad Wars Ranking site thread

Post#7 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:12 am

SoD. Fun site. Ty!

Agree with minimal forum rules. Just throttle the abusive nerfherders and let the rest go. We can police ourselves for the most part thank you very much.
“He who only sees the obvious, wins his battles with difficulty; he who looks below the surface of things, wins with ease”
― Sun Tzu

MarreOngla
Commodore

Post#8 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:54 pm

I have a question. We were ranked around 100-200 on the SOD site and recently had a narrow loss (45-39) against a squad with significantly better bases and higher levels than us (not to mention the fact they are ranked in the top 100 in terms of medals, whereas we are ranked around 1600). We have now dropped over 1000 places because of 1 loss to a tough opponent.

I did read a decent portion of the Trueskill explanation, but it was very long, so didn't get round to reading all of it. I understand the concept that losing to teams you should beat will lower your ranking and losing to teams you should beat comfortably will lower it a lot, so the fact we've dropped really far suggests the system thinks we should have smashed these guys, but that simply wasn't ever going to happen.

How did the system come to this conclusion? Or is there another reason for us dropping over 1000 places?
Marre Ongla - HQ 10 - 23.1k medals
Crix Madine - HQ 9 - 4.8k medals
SkywalkersPrideare recruiting for active, rebels on android/ios. All HQ levels & medal counts welcome. PM me for info :)

BertO
Major General

Post#9 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:05 pm

MarreOngla wrote:I have a question. We were ranked around 100-200 on the SOD site and recently had a narrow loss (45-39) against a squad with significantly better bases and higher levels than us (not to mention the fact they are ranked in the top 100 in terms of medals, whereas we are ranked around 1600). We have now dropped over 1000 places because of 1 loss to a tough opponent.

I did read a decent portion of the Trueskill explanation, but it was very long, so didn't get round to reading all of it. I understand the concept that losing to teams you should beat will lower your ranking and losing to teams you should beat comfortably will lower it a lot, so the fact we've dropped really far suggests the system thinks we should have smashed these guys, but that simply wasn't ever going to happen.

How did the system come to this conclusion? Or is there another reason for us dropping over 1000 places?

The dataset is so small there is a very good chance the imps you fought are still unranked due to spending more time in matchmaking limbo than in actual Wars. Probably be months before it balances out. I'm watching Dark-Brigade, once they are number one or two we will know it is getting close to functional.
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Live long and prosper.

MarreOngla
Commodore

Post#10 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:45 pm

BertO wrote:
MarreOngla wrote:I have a question. We were ranked around 100-200 on the SOD site and recently had a narrow loss (45-39) against a squad with significantly better bases and higher levels than us (not to mention the fact they are ranked in the top 100 in terms of medals, whereas we are ranked around 1600). We have now dropped over 1000 places because of 1 loss to a tough opponent.

The dataset is so small there is a very good chance the imps you fought are still unranked due to spending more time in matchmaking limbo than in actual Wars. Probably be months before it balances out. I'm watching Dark-Brigade, once they are number one or two we will know it is getting close to functional.

They are unranked on that site, but simply because they haven't won enough wars to get ranked (they've only been in 6 wars and you need to win 10 to be ranked). What if we'd been warring for ages and got a really good rank, then lost to dark~brigade in their first war? We'd drop maybe 3000 places because we lost to arguably the best squad in the game? Seems a bit daft to me.

I'm sure it will sort itself out eventually, but this just seems to show it's clearly a flawed system. That said, I'm not saying I could make a better one :lol:
Marre Ongla - HQ 10 - 23.1k medals
Crix Madine - HQ 9 - 4.8k medals
SkywalkersPrideare recruiting for active, rebels on android/ios. All HQ levels & medal counts welcome. PM me for info :)

Return to “Squad Wars Discussions”