RFTs vs Burst Turrets

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
BandolierBombardier
Storm Trooper

RFTs vs Burst Turrets

Post#1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:43 pm

Hello all, I’m a level 4 Imperial HQ and gearing up to move to level 5. I've been considering switching out my RFTs for burst turrets so I could perform better against wookies, is this a good decision?

DeathStriker

Re: RFTs vs Burst Turrets

Post#2 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:58 pm

BandolierBombardier wrote:Hello all, I’m a level 4 Imperial HQ and gearing up to move to level 5. I've been considering switching out my RFTs for burst turrets so I could perform better against wookies, is this a good decision?

BandolierBombardier - Welcome to the Forum! :D

Yes. Swapping RFT's for Burst Turrets is the best thing you can do. Highly Recommend It.

Also recommend you drop Mortar Turrets and add in more Rocket Turrets.

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 5+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

BandolierBombardier
Storm Trooper

Post#3 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:03 pm

DeathStriker wrote:
BandolierBombardier wrote:Hello all, I’m a level 4 Imperial HQ and gearing up to move to level 5. I've been considering switching out my RFTs for burst turrets so I could perform better against wookies, is this a good decision?

BandolierBombardier - Welcome to the Forum! :D

Yes. Swapping RFT's for Burst Turrets is the best thing you can do. Highly Recommend It.

Also recommend you drop Mortar Turrets and add in more Rocket Turrets.

Thank you! I try to cover all bases when it comes to troop deployments and turret layouts.

TKTB51
Admiral

Post#4 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:07 pm

at higher levels, you're going to want to run a heavy mix of bursts and sonics.

I have 18 bursts, 4 sonics. Some people recommend a (very) few mortars or rapid fire or rocket in the mix, but I don't see much reason for those.

And get the burst armory skin fragments and upgrade their damage and health - it's key to surviving attacks.
Player: TK-TB51 (leader)
Squad: DarkLords
Level 50 with all maxed out perks
Imperial (like you didn't know that already)

Founder of MEGA - "Make the Empire Great Again".

www.darklords.info (under construction)

BandolierBombardier
Storm Trooper

Post#5 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:10 pm

TKTB51 wrote:at higher levels, you're going to want to run a heavy mix of bursts and sonics.

I have 18 bursts, 4 sonics. Some people recommend a (very) few mortars or rapid fire or rocket in the mix, but I don't see much reason for those.

And get the burst armory skin fragments and upgrade their damage and health - it's key to surviving attacks.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

FMsucks
Cadet Trooper

Post#6 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:39 pm

At lower levels, rapids are better due to range. As you get to 8, 9, 10, bursts are better. Too many people go overboard and it depends what you are defending, pvp, ops war or no ops war. There is no one turret mix that works for all 3. If you have too many of one thing, people will take it out, for instance, all bursts, hails will do the job, all sonics, rebs will do the job, all rockets, add a lot of fire girl to keep the rockets off the attackers. But at the end of the day, the mix is based on what your priority in the game is.

XitLiteNtrNite
Major General

Post#7 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:06 pm

You really need a mix of burst, rocket and sonic turrets to defend against all attacks. Bursts are good against jumps, but hails have a 1 tile shooting advantage over them and will destroy them before the burst ever gets a single shot. Probably not a big deal in PvP where most players are taking a generic payload heavy with jumps, but in squad wars it will make it much too easy to clear your base.
In game name: Paper Tiger
Officer in: ThatsNoMoon
Line ID: paper-tiger
Discord: Paper Tiger#6882

FMsucks
Cadet Trooper

Post#8 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:15 pm

They are good against jet if not off perimeter and multiples close together. If in the center of base, not so good against anything as they will use hails to shut them down. If you put too many sonics together I would send a bunch of rebels. With so many using dows, i would put sonics in the center of base under a shield and ensure the sonics can target from in a diamond to take the dows.

DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Post#9 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:07 am

Lots of Prestige level answers for a L4 player :) lol.

At L4/L5, there is no hail fire droids to worry about. The main attack load for rebel is infantry (chewy/Han as hero, followed by a bunch of wookies, rebs, and perhaps some hover tanks.

Bursts are fine, and for IMP, are way better than the nerf RTFs.

I would go with a combination of burst and mortars for IMP L4/L5. Wookies tend to bundle together so mortars are extremely effective because of splash damage.

The fun stop when you get to L6, where you have to face the dreaded combination of heavies+medics.
Then hail fire droids at L7 and then jets at L8.

lukeskywalker
Admiral

Post#10 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:03 pm

DarkRebel wrote:Lots of Prestige level answers for a L4 player :) lol.
[cut]

Yeah, that was funny. In fairness, there was some info sprinkled in that was applicable to a level 4 or pertinent to the long-term decision making, but funny nonetheless. As a level 4, keep in mind you will only stay at that level for a very short period of time in this game. Even at a slow pace, you will be at level 6 in a very short period of time. A lot depends on whether you want to make a lot of turret swaps later on, when you hit level 8. The game changes a little through level 7 and significantly at level 8. That's why a lot of the Prestige players chimed in with higher level feedback.

As DarkRebel said, at level 4 you will see a steady diet of Wookiee and rebel soldier attacks. A mix of bursts and mortars would work. You will most likely swap out of the mortars and rapids at level 8, so no sense in having rapids. That will minimize the number of swaps you need to make. Bursts are better than rapids at level 8 and probably just as effective as rapids at the lower levels. Most rebel units don't have the range to hurt bursts, and most rebel players don't really know how to use hails even when they get them. So many need to be taught how to use buffers, deployment timing, and the range differentials to get the right spacing. I would only keep 2 mortars, since you will swap out of those too.

Since I suspect this is really a "how do you improve your defense" question, I will add that you keep snipers, togs, bikes, MTT's, ITT, or Orbak in your squad center for defense. Learn to 3 star on offense without any squad center help, so you can keep your squad center troops intact. Those alone will stop most of your attackers at level 4-7. Get your squad center under shields and inside your walls, and that more than turret selection will keep your base protected at the lower levels. Upgrade your walls as a priority, so keep a droid free to upgrade your walls every time you have enough alloy. At level 7 and below, it's nothing but ground troops. Walls are important.

A subtle strategy would also be to delay adding turrets. Either full blown mini base or delay adding turrets and hold off on traps. For example, don't add your level 5 turret allocation until you go to HQ level 6. The problem is the transition. When you get to level 6 and immediately add your level 6 turrets, the game matchmaking will treat you more like a level 6 than a level 5. Your troops will still be at level 5 at best. That matchmaking algo includes turrets and traps in your base score, on both offensive and defensive attacks, so you lose ground on offense and breakeven on defense at best when you add turrets and traps. Sure way to struggle.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

Return to “General Discussions”