Burst / Rocket / Sonic Turret Mix

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
lukeskywalker
Admiral

Burst / Rocket / Sonic Turret Mix

Post#1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:19 pm

This is probably one of the more subtle choices each commander needs to make, and I am watching the results of my brothers base real closely given how difficult it is to change turret mix at the Prestige level. My maxed Prestige has a heavy burst and sonic turret mix, with a few rockets. The bursts are backed with the heat sink buff. My brothers base went from that mix to a full sonic farm as an experiment. He's in that black hole HQ10, 30K medal medal range. He gets fair matchups on Hoth, but does not see any dev bases on any planet regardless of time of day. Almost all of the bases not on Hoth, are Prestige. He can 3 star them, but needs a full load of starships. Mostly healers. He does not use squad center troops on attacks. A mix of buffed jets, MTT's and A5's. He uses Itho's, vans, hails, etc. as needed.

Defense is where it got interesting. He decided to start his Prestige HQ upgrade, given the current matchmaking situation. Since I warned him about the cost and bottleneck that is the Prestige level, he's testing the extremes of the burst, sonic, and rocket turret mixes and different combinations right now. I'm certain that there are differences being seen by rebel vs. imp bases, because of the range differences for key units. The burst turret farms were great vs. jump attacks, but had mixed results with MTT/ITT and long range units. The burst turret and sonic mix, with a few rockets helped, but still got rolled by MTT/ITT and long range unit Prestige loadouts. The sonic farm worked great against level 10 units and inexperienced attackers, but Prestige jump attacks rolled his level 10 base. His most recent switch was to a 2/3 rocket turret and 1/3 sonic mix. He eliminated the burst turrets. At first thought, the concern was the Prestige jump attacks. As expected, he's going about 50% in win rate vs. Prestige mixed Jump/MTT/ITT/Vehicle loadouts. Prestige vs. level 10, so 50% is not bad.

The unexpected part is the Prestige jump loadouts are maxing out at 80% vs. the 100% before and most are coming in at 60%. The 10 tile range seems to more than offset the modifier/buff gains that bursts have. The sonics mixed in seem to do enough damage to assist. His armory levels for gr are only at level 4, so that's promising if he can level those up to level 7-8. He wants to lock in a mix before he starts his Prestige turret upgrades for the obvious reasons. He does draw more attacks with rocket turrets than he did with bursts or sonics, so there's that added bonus if he can convert the losses to wins on defense. Just thought this was interesting, both from a turret selection perspective but also a perception perspective. Are rocket turrets seen as the lessor of 3 evils when attackers decide to hit a base? Is part of this faction based? Decepticon draws a huge number of attacks, with a heavy rocket turret mix and sonics.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

Boog
Grand Admiral

Re: Burst / Rocket / Sonic Turret Mix

Post#2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:50 pm

I used to run full burst with my level X imp base with level X buffs for the turrets. I got tired of it, and it was not that amazing (definitely not on Hoth, where I like to camp sometimes). I ditched all bursts and now run 14 Sonic's, 4 rockets, and two mortars with 4xGR and rodians. It works about the same, maybe a little better. I beat Deception on defense with it once, lol, so I'm keeping it. (I run snow crabs, rodians, and storms on Hoth.)

I am currently upgrading to presto, and am considering going with 12 Sonic's, 4 bursts, 4 rockets, and 2 mortars. I'll run just gr with that as well.

Lord
Major General

Post#3 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:11 pm

l use 10 sonics and 12 bursts with only burst heat sink buff of 9 units, then HQ reinforce of 5 and sniper/trooper/melee grs of 39 and Rodian of 13.
lf you are imp, the core of your defence system should be Rodian GR, turrets should be used to assist walking snipers to defence corners in distance. Also, mixture of turrets needs lots of armory units to be useful but afraid of B-wings especially when you open reinforce buff, eneny can eassily use 5 B-wings to take down 20% and reduce your defence a lot.The reason is there are only 4 barracks so they can be protected well togather with HQ and SC, but dozens of turrets can never be covered by shields and unprotected under airforce. lmps have GR natually better than Rebs, so make good use of it.
Edit: never camp on Hoth for more than a year, too lazy to change layout and switch armory.

Ghostie
Major General

Post#4 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:20 pm

lukeskywalker wrote:This is probably one of the more subtle choices each commander needs to make, and I am watching the results of my brothers base real closely given how difficult it is to change turret mix at the Prestige level. My maxed Prestige has a heavy burst and sonic turret mix, with a few rockets. The bursts are backed with the heat sink buff. My brothers base went from that mix to a full sonic farm as an experiment. He's in that black hole HQ10, 30K medal medal range. He gets fair matchups on Hoth, but does not see any dev bases on any planet regardless of time of day. Almost all of the bases not on Hoth, are Prestige. He can 3 star them, but needs a full load of starships. Mostly healers. He does not use squad center troops on attacks. A mix of buffed jets, MTT's and A5's. He uses Itho's, vans, hails, etc. as needed.

Defense is where it got interesting. He decided to start his Prestige HQ upgrade, given the current matchmaking situation. Since I warned him about the cost and bottleneck that is the Prestige level, he's testing the extremes of the burst, sonic, and rocket turret mixes and different combinations right now. I'm certain that there are differences being seen by rebel vs. imp bases, because of the range differences for key units. The burst turret farms were great vs. jump attacks, but had mixed results with MTT/ITT and long range units. The burst turret and sonic mix, with a few rockets helped, but still got rolled by MTT/ITT and long range unit Prestige loadouts. The sonic farm worked great against level 10 units and inexperienced attackers, but Prestige jump attacks rolled his level 10 base. His most recent switch was to a 2/3 rocket turret and 1/3 sonic mix. He eliminated the burst turrets. At first thought, the concern was the Prestige jump attacks. As expected, he's going about 50% in win rate vs. Prestige mixed Jump/MTT/ITT/Vehicle loadouts. Prestige vs. level 10, so 50% is not bad.

The unexpected part is the Prestige jump loadouts are maxing out at 80% vs. the 100% before and most are coming in at 60%. The 10 tile range seems to more than offset the modifier/buff gains that bursts have. The sonics mixed in seem to do enough damage to assist. His armory levels for gr are only at level 4, so that's promising if he can level those up to level 7-8. He wants to lock in a mix before he starts his Prestige turret upgrades for the obvious reasons. He does draw more attacks with rocket turrets than he did with bursts or sonics, so there's that added bonus if he can convert the losses to wins on defense. Just thought this was interesting, both from a turret selection perspective but also a perception perspective. Are rocket turrets seen as the lessor of 3 evils when attackers decide to hit a base? Is part of this faction based? Decepticon draws a huge number of attacks, with a heavy rocket turret mix and sonics.

Good Post agree with about everything you said. Maybe Forceisweakinyou can shed some thoughts on this. I think he used to run a LINE group on defense strategies if my memory serves me right. Anyways....here are some of my thoughts.

-Sonic Farms can be successful, but it is all about placement. A good attacker will bait a sonic turret with an expendable troop and render them useless. A couple good rebel layouts for reference that run all sonics are EgTaKime and NUGGIE both are very good bases. I figure those 2 layouts would give your brother an idea of correct spacing when using all sonic layouts.

-Rockets will definitely encourage action because max jumps skins will absolutely obliterate them. The bright spot with them is they hit SMTTs very hard with their modifiers. I personally think though as an IMP you have to go with the skinned bursts/sonic combo because their is just to big of advantage do to modifiers. Currently I have 14 max skinned bursts and 8 sonics.

-D-icon gets attacks for the simple reason he has more defense wins then anyone in the game. It becomes kinda of a pilgrimage for some to load up a big mean nasty loadout with air and take a shot at him. I mean everyone likes to tangle with best to see where your at as a player...his base is a good measuring stick. As for the rockets and sonics mix he uses its likely to slow down SMTTs and MHC. With that turret configuration he's likely rolling all the newbs that take a shot at him which is +ROI. Also, with the more experienced players that hit him he can still survive most of their attacks without being hundied…..Which when you tangle with the best of the best is a win within itself considering the current offensive dominate climate of the game. Personally if I go in balls to the wall against someone in PvP and don't hundie them I consider it a failure.

Hope your brother gets it figured out. :) Also, what is his in game name? I would like to take a peak at his base.
Overconfidence is the most dangerous form of carelessness.

lukeskywalker
Admiral

Post#5 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:45 pm

Ghostie wrote:
[cut]
Hope your brother gets it figured out. :) Also, what is his in game name? I would like to take a peak at his base.

Yoda-50. It's not completely set yet. He actually took D-icon's layout, but he's going to modify it to need. He's only at level 10, so he does not have the full Prestige structures and turrets he needs and he still has a ways to go with base upgrades on the fringe items like resource storages. He lost his base with the Kindle phase out. Rebuilt using a mini base at first, then started to add all the turrets and other buildings as he got the gr to level 3. His gr is now at level 4 and he's trying to get the rest of the base upgraded. I think his sniper gr is at level 5 if I'm not mistaken.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#6 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:52 pm

I agree with what Ghostie wrote. I no longer attack in PvP as Prestige, and after 5 years, I'm tired and lazy to create new strategies and adapt to new units. My retirement is very close, and the only part that still interests me is making the lives of the rebels attacking my Imperial Prestige base a living hell.

Sonics take too long to recharge. I would never use a full Sonics farm without a good layout. I don't like rockets either. Rockets are not effective against Jets/Jumps or brutes, and most still carry jets/jumps, and full truck attacks are still rare.

My Imperial base uses 12 Bursts (Heat Sink Level 8) with 10 Sonics, and the effectiveness of this base that wins 85-90% of defenses is neither Sonic nor Bursts, but the whole thing.

A layout where at first glance there is no weak point, everything is symmetrical to confuse the attacker. Noobs go bad because they hesitate and get lost in a meaningless attack.

Sonics are placed side by side with Bursts so that enemy troops enter the crossfire of the Sonics (98% immediate damage), and if they are close, the bursts and GR troops complete the service. If they attack with Jets, they die, if they attack with trucks they die, and before they go through the walls. Shields hold jets, reinforced walls stop the trucks. Unless they use healers to keep them alive a little longer.

Level 8 Rodians, with GR Sniper Level 9, plus GR Storms Level 10 spawning storms from 4 barracks at the same time, and GR MHCs Level 9 enclosed within the shields, plus a handful of Rodians within the SC located in the center of the fully walled base.

There is no way to trigger SC without having to go through the walls and all that said before. Unless the dekas are dead and the attacker uses a transport or other building as a reference for Kessen to hit the SC. Using eATTE to drop two shields early on is more effective than Kessen against SC. Any other hero is useless.

Rebels with 24 jets attacking in a straight line can hit the HQ, with luck and lots of air they get two stars. Anyone attacking with only SMTT/Trucks can't go far than that. This base suffered only one 100% defeat in more than 1 year as Prestige.

With the policy of having to 3 stars every attack to move ahead in conflicts, there's no sense in go against tough bases, only if you want to try your skills. That's not for me, not anymore.
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial HQ 11 & Rebel HQ 11 on vacation.

Ghostie
Major General

Post#7 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:57 pm

mkenobi wrote:I agree with what Ghostie wrote. I no longer attack in PvP as Prestige, and after 5 years, I'm tired and lazy to create new strategies and adapt to new units. My retirement is very close, and the only part that still interests me is making the lives of the rebels attacking my Imperial Prestige base a living hell.

Sonics take too long to recharge. I would never use a full Sonics farm without a good layout. I don't like rockets either. Rockets are not effective against Jets/Jumps or brutes, and most still carry jets/jumps, and full truck attacks are still rare.

My Imperial base uses 12 Bursts (Heat Sink Level 8) with 10 Sonics, and the effectiveness of this base that wins 85-90% of defenses is neither Sonic nor Bursts, but the whole thing.

A layout where at first glance there is no weak point, everything is symmetrical to confuse the attacker. Noobs go bad because they hesitate and get lost in a meaningless attack.

Sonics are placed side by side with Bursts so that enemy troops enter the crossfire of the Sonics (98% immediate damage), and if they are close, the bursts and GR troops complete the service. If they attack with Jets, they die, if they attack with trucks they die, and before they go through the walls. Shields hold jets, reinforced walls stop the trucks. Unless they use healers to keep them alive a little longer.

Level 8 Rodians, with GR Sniper Level 9, plus GR Storms Level 10 spawning storms from 4 barracks at the same time, and GR MHCs Level 9 enclosed within the shields, plus a handful of Rodians within the SC located in the center of the fully walled base.

There is no way to trigger SC without having to go through the walls and all that said before. Unless the dekas are dead and the attacker uses a transport or other building as a reference for Kessen to hit the SC. Using eATTE to drop two shields early on is more effective than Kessen against SC. Any other hero is useless.

Rebels with 24 jets attacking in a straight line can hit the HQ, with luck and lots of air they get two stars. Anyone attacking with only SMTT/Trucks can't go far than that. This base suffered only one 100% defeat in more than 1 year as Prestige.

With the policy of having to 3 stars every attack to move ahead in conflicts, there's no sense in go against tough bases, only if you want to try your skills. That's not for me, not anymore.

Good defensive mind here excellent post. You are "dead on" with everything you said.
Overconfidence is the most dangerous form of carelessness.

TKTB51
Admiral

Post#8 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:22 pm

Almost maxed out P level IMP.

spend most of my time on Tat these dsys, racking up defensive wins. I have almost 4k and I have 4.3k attack wins, so I'm close to parity on those.

Defense:
18 lvl 11 bursts with both skins at lvl 10
4 lvl 11 sonics (no skins, obviously)

I get a 100% loss about once a month. My GR is typically storms, snipers, and rodians, plus the burst x2, plus HQ 10 and walls 10 (so that if you're stupid and run things that aggro to walls, they'll never get very far).

base is wide and scattered across pretty much the entire grid. resource storage are on the perimeter as offerings to the younglings - I don't care about resources, so please smash, grab, and quit, I'll take the win.

HQ & SC are quad shielded with lvl 11 shields.

if you are willing to invest in the rolling TTs, then you'll 2 or 3 star me. But you need to make an investment, I've not seen a 3 star loss w/o those and w/o a full dump of air (typically healing) and use of a SC.

I'm tempted to put a "no trains and no SC" bounty on myself.
Player: TK-TB51 (leader)
Squad: DarkLords
Level 50 with all maxed out perks
Imperial (like you didn't know that already)

Founder of MEGA - "Make the Empire Great Again".

www.darklords.info (under construction)

strawman3125
Grand Admiral

Post#9 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:05 am

With my Imperial accounts I run about 75% Bursts (with both skins on) and 25% Sonics and with Rebels I run 75% Rockets (with both skins on) and 25% Sonics. My Imperials tend to get a slightly higher win ratio, but that is mostly due to the eATAT which can 1-2 star my base all by itself.

As far as psychology of attacking goes:
-I NEVER attack a base with 10+ level 10 sonics I can probably get a 1-2 star but a 3 is unlikely and I will have to use enough air support to make it difficult to continue grinding the event or conflict without waiting for an hour or more to continue
- I never attack a base with mostly (12+) glowing bursts
- I never attack a base with mostly (12+) glowing rockets, unless it is poorly designed
- I am not as concerned with a combo of all glowing bursts and glowing rockets as they probably only have one skin on for each, it's the double skin that is tough

I use a mix of jets/jumps and WWs/ITTs when attacking.

I consider a 1-2 star attacking win to be a complete loss and a waste of the time that it took to cook the troops, so I am only looking for bases where it looks possible to get 3 star wins.

Personally I think that level 10 sonics are the single most broken thing in the game! I try not to use too many of them and I avoid attacking any base that abuses them (10+)! Can you imagine is every base in the game had 20+ level 10+ sonics! That's the stuff that nightmares are made of!
Last edited by strawman3125 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#10 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:30 am

strawman3125 wrote:I consider a 1-2 star attacking win to be a complete loss and a waste of the time that it took to cook the troops, so I am only looking for bases where it looks possible to get 3 star wins.

That's the big problem in this game, if you don't get 3 stars in every attack, it's like a defeat.

Conflicts require you to earn 3 stars always because other players get 3 stars against dev bases, but you only find live bases. 2 stars move you forward in deflated conflicts, but in conflicts with high thresholds you don't go very far.

And no conflict player will attack your base if they don't have the conviction that they'll get 3 stars. If you are trying defensive wins in conflicts with a tough base, you won't go far in the leagues.

Events require you to always 3 stars, and if you only 2 stars, it is also like a defeat because you will have to attack again if you cannot complete EP with objectives or HDs.

2 stars, considering the merit of your attack strategy, and how strong is your rival, would be quite a feat against any TOP bases - but for those who are just playing for points it's a pain in the ass.
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial HQ 11 & Rebel HQ 11 on vacation.

Return to “General Discussions”