Sonics

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
VileDoom
Commodore

Sonics

Post#1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Why did they give us sonic turrets and not ion cannons? After all this is Star Wars and would seem more fitting.
BioHazard
STARBENDER Accepting HQ9+ 15k+ medals. Squad war record 94W - 3L - 2T

DarthVacc
Commodore

Re: Sonics

Post#2 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:35 pm

You are attempting to ascribe a sense of coherence and unified vision to the game that brought us Johhar Kessen... you should know better than to ask such a question. ;)

Also: you're right.
----------------

"All too easy..." - the Other D.V.

Darth Vaccuous - Rank 13 Commander - Lvl10 HQ - 35k+ Medals
Officer - EastCoastRaiders - #506 Squad Worldwide - lvl43 Perks - 583k+ Squad Medals

BertO
Major General

Post#3 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:54 pm

There was a mention of a sonic blaster in one of the last episodes of Rebels so they are new "Official" canon. I hadn't came across them earlier, I'm only a noob level nerd, but they are from the old "Legends" EU http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_weapon
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Live long and prosper.

Euph
Commodore

Post#4 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:08 pm

I always figured they were based off the flying bug's weapons in Attack of the Clones. All their handheld weapons are like that, and there's the briefest snippet of them wheeling in and firing a big sonic cannon in that arena fight. (Sorry for reminding anyone lucky enough to have forgotten that scene existed)

But I agree, they do seem a bit.. off, somehow. The rule for Star Wars games should be: if you can source something from the OT instead of the Prequels, do it.
Sith-Society iOS/Android Imperial Squad
Mature HQ10. Immature meat-bag.
[sound of Kubaz laughing]

BertO
Major General

Post#5 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:06 pm

Euph wrote:I always figured they were based off the flying bug's weapons in Attack of the Clones. All their handheld weapons are like that, and there's the briefest snippet of them wheeling in and firing a big sonic cannon in that arena fight. (Sorry for reminding anyone lucky enough to have forgotten that scene existed)

But I agree, they do seem a bit.. off, somehow. The rule for Star Wars games should be: if you can source something from the OT instead of the Prequels, do it.

The one mentored in Rebels belonged to a Geonosan so that fits.
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Live long and prosper.

RedCDR
Lieutenant

Post#6 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:45 am

i also think there were hand held sonics in star wars KOTOR.

RebelYell
Admiral

Post#7 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:33 am

Ion cannons are mounted on AT-RTs / MTV-7s. At least something.... ;-)
RebelYell, leader of Alderaan-Memory.

VileDoom
Commodore

Post#8 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:38 am

DarthVacc wrote:You are attempting to ascribe a sense of coherence and unified vision to the game that brought us Johhar Kessen... you should know better than to ask such a question. ;)

You're absolutely correct I had a momentary lapse of reason. :lol:
BioHazard
STARBENDER Accepting HQ9+ 15k+ medals. Squad war record 94W - 3L - 2T

Ghost666
Commodore

Post#9 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:27 am

For anyone old enough to have played Dune2...Sonics were a prime weapon in that old game...and based on the Dune movie...

Seeing them in Star Wars was odd...particularly because they look and feel A LOT like those in that game...(apart from the fact that they were not in turrets but in vehicles)
"All Walls Must Die" - Imperial Sniper Corps Unofficial Motto

Moadib
Captain

Post#10 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:29 am

if i recall correctly Dune had sonic tanks as op unit in it, was such a good game on old pc 386 or 486 was long time ago

http://duneii.com/special/

to bad i read family that holds right on Dune books doesnt allow new game to be made with all this new tech we have in this time would be blast , House of Atreides, Harkonnen etc,, ufff, saboteur units were also in that game was ahead of its time then ...
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on.

Return to “General Discussions”