Chat Text Formatting

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
RealDarth
Lieutenant

Chat Text Formatting

Post#1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:08 pm

I know there is a way to set the color of chat messages using hex codes as decribed in this post:

http://www.swcommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17266&p=29250#p29250

I've also discovered that you can [u]underline[-], [i]itallic[-], and [b]bold[-] face

Does anyone know if there is a code to insert a new line?

RealDarth

RealDarth
Lieutenant

Re: Chat Text Formatting

Post#2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:22 am

I contacted support - their response was below, I guess we're teaching them some things too. Anyway I also discovered [s]strikethrough[-]. [c] must do something too but I can't figure out what it does.

Greetings Commander,

Thank you for reaching out to us! Oh man I didn't know about the bold, underlined and italic settings in squad chat - that is pretty neat. So you can change your color by putting a hex code just before the word or letter liket his [0000ff]test.

Unfortunately we haven't found out how to insert a new line yet, but please do let us know if you are able to find a way okay?

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. We are always happy to help!

May the Force be with you.

Karli
STAR WARS™: Commander Support

Moo
Lieutenant

Post#3 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Nice find, RealDarth!
Unfortunately I don't know how to start a new line but I sure will be trying out the underline, bold and italics.
Thanks for posting the info. :)
Playing since day one.

DeathStriker

Post#4 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:53 pm

As already indicated, most of the Game Chat "text formatting codes" (as well as this Forums text editing bbCodes) follow basic HTML formatting where putting one of the following VALUES within Brackets '[..]' results in a text formatting function:

• b = Bold
  • i = Italics
  • u = Underline
  • s = Strikethrough
  • - (dash) = End Formatting
  • Others still not documented
These should be able to be combined so that

Code: Select all

[b][u]Bold and Underlined[-]

displays as Bold and Underlined.

The use of [c] if valid may refer to "color", similar to what is used in Clash Royale and described here, but we already know about using Color Hex Codes.

★ INTERESTING FIND - Rainbow Text Generator:

Using Game Chat Color Hex Codes can make your Squad Chats very interesting...

NOW AS FOR A NEW LINE...

The use of [Shift] + [Enter/Return] also known as a "Soft Return" should give you a new line.

However, the In-Game Chat does not have a "Multi-Line Message Input Field" but is limited to only a "Single-Line Message Input Field" in which a Soft Return does not work.

On iOS I tried using the Text Replacement Function found under Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement, but it did not work.

Currently I know of no work-around or code for a New Line for the In-Game Chat. Perhaps others will find the "solution".

Adding to this Thread...

IGN: Striker - Rank: 17 - Motto: Bringing Light to Darkness and Having Fun Doing It! :lol:

Return to “General Discussions”