Hidden 3D Models/Units In The Game

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
RebelYell
Admiral

Hidden 3D Models/Units In The Game

Post#1 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:02 am

While browsing the games assets I stumbled upon 2 3D Models / Units which aren't visible/playable in the game.

There are no stats for these units and they've been in the game for at least several months. So don't expect them to be available anytime soon, if ever:

Rathtar:

IG88:
Last edited by DeathStriker on Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Thread Title - Capitalized
ImageWe're recruiting! (Rebels/Android/iOS). Just PM me here/LINE:lleyleber or request in game with a meaningful text. If you want to take part in wars, lv7+ is useful.

Euph
Admiral

Re: Hidden 3D models/units in the game

Post#2 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:31 am

Thanks for posting this! (And for taking the time to make them into gifs)

That's really fascinating. The Rathtar not so much; Dan had announced they had made the model previously but couldn't get it working acceptably on low-end devices. Doesn't surprise me it was hidden away in the code. I'm not sure we could ever expect to see that make it into the game.

IG88 is the one that gets me interested though. Many people suggested using him to replace Kessen for Imps; I wonder if they didn't think the same thing. Question is, is that still in the works, or did it get shelved?

Even if we never see either of them in-game, that's interesting stuff. :)
Sith-Society
Mature HQ10. Immature meat-bag.
The wall bug giveth, and the wall bug taketh away

RebelYell
Admiral

Re: Hidden 3D models/units in the game

Post#3 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:04 am

The internal asset-id of the ig88 is "ig88hero_emp". So we can guess that it was (or is) planned as hero for the empire faction.
ImageWe're recruiting! (Rebels/Android/iOS). Just PM me here/LINE:lleyleber or request in game with a meaningful text. If you want to take part in wars, lv7+ is useful.

DeathStriker

Re: Hidden 3D Models/Units In The Game

Post#4 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:31 am

RebelYell wrote:While browsing the games assets I stumbled upon 2 3D Models / Units which aren't visible/playable in the game.

There are no stats for these units and they've been in the game for at least several months. So don't expect them to be available anytime soon, if ever:

RebelYell - GREAT POST!! :D

QUESTION 1: In what "version" game data file did you find these?

In case these are removed in a later "version" of the game it would be nice to know from a historical perspective when they were first noticed.

QUESTION 2: How much "bloat" do these 3-D Models add to the Game File Size?

While I am all for "preparation" if these (and other unused 3-D Models) add a significant amount then it would be my hope that we don't have too many of these "easter eggs" waiting to be hatched. I would rather have them added later than be included now if I can't use them.

QUESTION 3: What "other" hidden 3-D Models / Units have you noted?

While you provided GIF's of two cool ones, I was just wondering if you noted any others which while interesting may not warrant the extra effort to convert into a GIF and post here.

MY COMMENTS:

While I find the Rathtar also interesting and was probably a SWC - Star Wars Force Awakens planned unit for back in December 2015, I feel the IG88 unit has a better "reason" for being in "game data".

One of our favorite Game Developers was Chris Menezes. His AVATAR was IG88 as seen here:

(Source: here)

As one of the Lead Game Developers I am sure that Chris used his influance to have the IG88 Unit added to the game, or it could be simply a coincidence. ;)

I like seeing Threads like this, with this one being created by using the information found in this Thread:

Adding to this Thread and continuing the discussion...

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

RebelYell
Admiral

Post#5 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:58 am

DeathStriker wrote:QUESTION 1: In what "version" game data file did you find these?

I checked game files back to Feb 2016 (Version 237). Even there, you'll find the ig88.
It still has to be checked when exactly the ig88 was included in the data.

The rathtar seem to be present from version 264 (May 2016) on.

DeathStriker wrote:QUESTION 2: How much "bloat" do these 3-D Models add to the Game File Size?

Their reference is basically a link in a dictionary. Most certainly, the game only loads the files which it actually requires. So the memory per model will probably be around 100-200 bytes for the url. Which is not much.

DeathStriker wrote:QUESTION 3: What "other" hidden 3-D Models / Units have you noted?

There's a model of a Tauntaun which is not visible in the game, yet. But this has already been shown on the star wars commander site/blog.

Besides that, I didn't notice anything until now. But I'll keep looking...
...edit:
I tought I found some turrets: emp turret and trap turret. But the models are somewhat not displayable. Probably only FX for turrets.

DeathStriker

Post#6 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:35 am

RebelYell - Thanks for answering the questions. :D

Your comment about the Tauntauns! is backed up by my post found here and here.

Continuing the Conversation...

RebelYell
Admiral

Post#7 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:46 am

Two rebel heroes that didn't make it into the game (AFAIR).

AT-TE Hero

AT-AP Hero
Last edited by DeathStriker on Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Slightly Edited Post For Clarity

RebelYell
Admiral

Post#8 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:56 am

Seems that imp technicians were originally planned as lifeforms:

And here the rebel equivalent of the red can: (Dr. Phlox? Oh, wrong franchise...)

And a smuggler girl. I don't remember having seen that in the chapter missions:

Euph
Admiral

Post#9 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:05 am

RebelYell wrote:Seems that imp technicians were originally planned as lifeforms:

That guy's been skipping leg day.

Dat chin tho. Hubba hubba.

:lol:

Edit: Seriously though, this provides some insight. In this specific case: I always wondered why the game used the terms Technician/Repair Droid interchangeably; this explains why.
Sith-Society
Mature HQ10. Immature meat-bag.
The wall bug giveth, and the wall bug taketh away

DeathStriker

Post#10 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:05 pm

RebelYell - Very Interesting Finds! :D

I am glad the "Hero Units" never made it into the game. The "Regular Units" for the AT-TE and AT-AP are poor performers and Unit Capacity Hogs.

I could not see myself deploying a Hero AT-TE with a Speed of 10 (1 Tile per Move) regardless of what "improvements" the Hero Unit had over the Regular Unit.

As for the Medic Lifeforms - well I am glad they also did not make it in game.

The "smuggler girl" may be a pre-cursor to the Twi'lek Incinerator (or as you stated possibly another "mercenary unit").

It makes one wonder what other "finds" remain hidden, unused, and waiting to be discovered...

Return to “General Discussions”