SWC History - Developer Game Ideas

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
DeathStriker

SWC History - Developer Game Ideas

Post#1 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:05 pm

So I was doing some web research and found the website for an unknown SWC Game Developer named Bradley Crusco which you can view here.

SURPRISING SWC HISTORICAL FIND!

It seems there was an unknown Hack-A-Thon in July 2015 that was never discussed, nor have I ever heard of. The only SWC Hack-A-Thon I knew of was back in October 2014 as reported here.

Based upon Bradley Crusco's website I saw the following:

1. Faction Icon Upgrades - Star Wars: Commander Hack-a-thon / July 2015

Bradley Crusco led the design and implementation of a system for earning cosmetic upgrades to a player’s avatar to incentivize player vs. player elder game content. He created a system allowing players to earn cosmetic upgrades to their avatar to incentivize elder game PvP content. Inspired by Diablo 3's Paragon system, players earn a rank based on their number of total PvP battles won. The higher their rank, the more complex their avatar icon becomes. The project ultimately became a feature in the live game.

2. Bounties - Star Wars: Commander Hack-a-thon / July 2015

Bradley Crusco won best in show at the 2015 Star Wars: Commander Hack-a-thon for a system for placing bounties on opponents for other players to carry out. The system gave players a new way to interact with each other, while simultaneously serving as a resource sink for the various currencies in the game. I implemented all the front end requirements of the project, including displaying new UI elements and interfacing with new back-end commands that supported this new form of currency exchange.

Here are the screenshots he posted:

2a. Set Bounty Option
(Click here to view LARGER image

2b. Set a Bounty Pop-Up

2c. Bounty Set Notice

3. Droid Parts - Star Wars: Commander Hack-a-thon / July 2015

This was one of the most surprising "finds". Bradley Crusco developed an extension of the Commander's existing "clearables" system, in which players can clean up rubble on their bases for a chance to collect crystals, a currency traditionally earned through in app purchases. This system would add a chance for players to collect droid parts from rubble. If players collected enough parts, they would be able to construct a free droid, the game's worker unit.

Here are the screenshots he posted:

3a. Droid Parts Collected

3b. Droid Part Found Notice (after clearing rock/debris, etc.)

3c. Droid Ready To Build

4. Interesting Historical Game Development Screenshots

I found the following screenshots posted on Bradley Crusco's website which I found interesting:

4a. Top 15% = Ultra Chrome League

4b. Find a Match Costs 5000 Credits (versus current max of 1000 Credits)

4c. Player With Nearly 1 MILLION CRYSTALS!!

5. Comments

1. It is interesting to note that in screenshot 2a (shown above), that the Attack Option was something I suggested back on the Playdom Forum. The main idea / suggestion was a way for Players to directly attack another particular / specific Player without having to use the random Player selection of the current Find a Match "system". When you view Leaders > Players, you will see the current Pop-Out Menu where you will also see that both the Bounty Option and the Attack Option has not been implemented (yet - if ever).

2. I like both the Set Bounty idea and the Build-a-Droid idea, and speaking of the latter, while not specified, if this idea was implemented I am sure that there would be "limits" like the "frequency of parts" appearing.

3. The screenshots shown above use the OLD UI which has since been changed.

4. Based upon the screenshots in paragraph 4, it must be "fun" to be a SWC Game Developer.

5. I am posting this for historical reference and for other to comment on.

Post any comments below...
Last edited by DeathStriker on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Paragraph 4.

It has been an honor and a privilege helping the SWC Community. MTFBWYA

Euph
Admiral

Re: SWC History - Developer Game Ideas

Post#2 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Good find. Thanks for sharing it. :)

15% for UC sure sounds nice. Even a big excessive, but considering you still need to do 10 conflicts to fully upgrade something.. I'd be okay with that. Wish it had come to pass.

The droid parts thing is pretty cool too. I've had 5 droids for a very long time now, but I think it'd be a good way of encouraging people to play frequently when they're new to the game.
Sith-Society
Mature HQ10. Immature meat-bag.
The wall bug giveth, and the wall bug taketh away

itsnotwhiningiftrue
Commodore

Post#3 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:39 pm

Great Post! :)

I forgot about this. Back on playdom i had posted that info, and slinky told me it couldnt be posted due to "unreleased" material. lol guess that doesnt matter here. :p

There are quite a few unreleased things and ideas like these...

Outpost Game that most likely turned into SWC.

Or Un used concepts for shield generators.

Or the original idea for the camera system of SWC

Level 10 SWC player in need of a new forum.
2 Rebel accounts and 2 empire accounts.

LosVega
Admiral

Post#4 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:07 pm

DANG, I want that bounty feature!!!!! I'd be freaking broke in a day. Can you imagine the top players with nonstop bounties on their heads? You know who you are. That creates a whole other ranking. How about the scenario of that L6 base player getting constant beatdowns by 8s n 9s? Ah if they would only add it.....
BATTALION FAMILY
WOLF, DRAGON, REDBAK, ROYALX, FALCON, GATOR
Duza's Elite & Duza's Finest - Empire
Looking for a great squad? Come by for a visit, make new friends and maul
some ass

pdqsport
Major General

Post#5 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:34 pm

LosVega wrote:DANG, I want that bounty feature!!!!! I'd be freaking broke in a day. Can you imagine the top players with nonstop bounties on their heads? You know who you are. That creates a whole other ranking. How about the scenario of that L6 base player getting constant beatdowns by 8s n 9s? Ah if they would only add it.....

I think that last part (a level 6 player getting repeatedly gobsmacked by level 8/9 players) is precisely why we have never and will probably never have an official bounty system in place for this game. Since online bullying is real, the game's ability to facilitate such behavior is not something that I believe those over at Disney want any part of.

Granted, limits could be placed with regards to who a bounty may be placed on, how many times a person can have a bounty on them in a particular period of time, and so on...but the effort to make that happen is unlikely to offset the colossal headaches caused if they got the balance wrong. Too little reward for too much risk.
HQ 10 : 24k medals
IGN : Fidelias
Former Officer in Kenobi's Command -- Retired
Level 50 Squad

VileDoom
Major General

Post#6 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:24 pm

pdqsport wrote:
I think that last part (a level 6 player getting repeatedly gobsmacked by level 8/9 players) is precisely why we have never and will probably never have an official bounty system in place for this game. Since online bullying is real, the game's ability to facilitate such behavior is not something that I believe those over at Disney want any part of.

This is going on already. Lol

I'm always seeing Rebels of all levels in my matchmaking especially on Tatooine. During one conflict I had a string of Rebel HQ1s in my matchmaking. No idea who thought that would be good for the game.

itsnotwhiningiftrue
Commodore

Post#7 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:15 pm

I just noticed this. There was an attack button, where you can attack friends in the Dev Version.

also, for 5000 wins/defenses.... that is a horrible small amount of medals. lolollololll

Level 10 SWC player in need of a new forum.
2 Rebel accounts and 2 empire accounts.

DeathStriker

Post#8 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:11 pm

itsnotwhiningiftrue wrote:I just noticed this. There was an attack button, where you can attack friends in the Dev Version.

itsnotwhiningiftrue - Yes!

This is something I pointed out in paragraph 5a in the Main Thread Post found here.

At the risk of repeating myself, I posted the following (slightly re-edited):

─────────────────────────────

It is interesting to note that in screenshot 2a (shown above), that the Attack Option was something I suggested back on the Playdom Forum.

The main idea / suggestion was a way for Players to directly attack another particular / specific Player without having to use the random Player selection of the current Find a Match "system".

When you view Leaders > Players, you will see the current Pop-Out Menu where you will also see that both the Bounty Option and the Attack Option has not been implemented (yet - if ever).

─────────────────────────────

I only wish they would implement my suggestion.

It has been an honor and a privilege helping the SWC Community. MTFBWYA

pdqsport
Major General

Post#9 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:03 am

VileDoom wrote:
This is going on already. Lol

I'm always seeing Rebels of all levels in my matchmaking especially on Tatooine. During one conflict I had a string of Rebel HQ1s in my matchmaking. No idea who thought that would be good for the game.

Not in the way I am talking about. Currently, such players are getting randomly obliterated by unknown adversaries. Yes, you come back to your base in ruin, but it is not something that can typically be viewed as 'personal'.

In the PvP situation as described, the level 6 player is getting passed around like a joint at a frat party. The same tormentors are repeating the beatdown over and over again. The actions are most definitely personal in nature. While you or I as adults should be emotionally strong enough to handle it, Disney wants KIDS to be able to play such games.

Think of it this way: Just how long after the first suicide by a young SWC player who includes mention of torment in the game in his/her suicide note will the servers remain up? Within minutes of such notice you can count on someone at Disney pulling the plug. "Poof" Game over and gone.

This is not some random gaming company that would consider weathering the PR issues to keep the game. This is DISNEY. They would not hesitate to just cut the cord and promote a new 'feel-good' movie to distract people from a tragedy that might be, in some way, tied to them.

Bottom line: The potential fallout is too great to the company to consider such a route. (Of course, the company will do as it feels it wishes, I just do not think it will go down this path)
HQ 10 : 24k medals
IGN : Fidelias
Former Officer in Kenobi's Command -- Retired
Level 50 Squad

Return to “General Discussions”