Both Marvel Avengers Alliance Games are Being Shut Down

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
awesome777
Commodore

Both Marvel Avengers Alliance Games are Being Shut Down

Post#1 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:20 pm

Last edited by DeathStriker on Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Thread Title
:D Join BrowncoatsWash for instant donations, great wars, and no drama. PM for more info. :D
HQ 8. Uncharted territory.

Lambruh
Captain

Re: Both marvel avebgers alliance ganes have shut down

Post#2 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:25 pm

hopefully they expand the SWC market more!
Empire
EPIC-SQUAD
Ranked #250

DeathStriker

Re: Both Marvel Avengers Alliance Games are Being Shut Down

Post#3 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:28 pm

I find this Thread DISTURBING! :shock:

⇨ You can view the "Official Sources" here and here.

⇨ You can read more "News" about this here.

The interesting but sad thing to know is MAA2 just got a Update back in July 2016 around same time as the Playdom Forum went dark.

Is Star Wars Commander Next? :?:

Makes one wonder about Star Wars Commander and maybe the reason for lack of communication on the SWC Official Forum.

Hmmm... I feel a disturbance in the Force...

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

itsnotwhiningiftrue
Commodore

Post#4 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:47 pm

DeathStriker wrote:I find this Thread DISTURBING! :shock:

⇨ You can view the "Official Sources" here and here.

⇨ You can read more "News" about this here.

The interesting but sad thing to know is MAA2 just got a Update back in July 2016 around same time as the Playdom Forum went dark.

Is Star Wars Commander Next? :?:

Makes one wonder about Star Wars Commander and maybe the reason for lack of communication on the SWC Official Forum.

Hmmm... I feel a disturbance in the Force...

My feeling to... been a concern since disney backed out of the console market.

this is what MAA players get after years of loyal purchases and playing.

Dan_Story @ Playdom said this on 06-15-2016, 01:22 AM (Source):

just to clarify, since I see confusion about this a lot:

Commander was developed in-house from the very beginning by Disney Mobile Games Palo Alto (also known as, at various times, Forge Studio, Disney Midcore, Disney SoMo, and originally Playdom), which is a division of Disney Consumer Products & Interactive Media (usually called "DCPI"; it was formerly two separate divisions of Disney that were merged last year). While the personnel on the team have changed as people have joined and left the company and moved to other projects within Disney, there are still people here who have been working on this game since the very first proof of concept demo more than three years ago.

All Star Wars-branded games used to be published by LucasArts, regardless of developer, and when LucasArts was closed down a few years ago, that responsibility transferred to LucasFilm. So that's why you see the Lucas logo rather than the Disney logo on startup; we have a similar arrangement in place with Marvel for our Marvel-branded games, and we also publish some games simply under the "Disney Interactive" label as well (such as Frozen Free Fall). It's one of those oddities of working for a giant multinational corporation; despite all of the people involved working for The Walt Disney Company (seriously; our paychecks all come from the same corporate accounting system!), we still wheel and deal with one another as if we were completely separate companies at times.

The closure that people read about in the media only affected one studio that was part of DCPI, but it was the last studio that was making console games, and its closure was part of a broader strategy to withdraw from the PC/console space and simply license our IP to partner companies rather than developing those games in-house. There are a lot of reasons for that, but probably the most important is just that console games are an enormous risk. Typical development costs for a console title are now upwards of $50 million, and the market has peaked as more people have moved to their cell phones. Continuing down that path would have really required one of two strategies: either dramatically staff up, hiring thousands of people and committing to being a major console game developer like EA or Activision, making huge bets of tens or hundreds of millions of dollars on giant franchises, or withdraw and focus on mobile games, which are still a growing market, something that we've historically done successfully, and already have the staff in house to do without any changes.

But that nuance was lost on a lot of people and the story was widely reported as "Disney is getting out of games entirely!" instead of the reality, "Disney isn't going to develop expensive console games in-house anymore so we can put that money into mobile instead."

His Long Detailed reply felt off for some reason. All Playdom members will remember that Dan just started posting out of no where, chris had disappeared completely, and it all started weeks before we lost playdom. If disney is going to squash SWC, they will do it in the same manner they did Disney Infinity, Tiny Death Star, POTC, & now MAA 1 & 2. Basically a non personal message will pop up and say, we are shutting down, and no refunds, but thanks for wasting your time.
Last edited by DeathStriker on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Link for Dan_Story Quote
Level 10 SWC player in need of a new forum.
2 Rebel accounts and 2 empire accounts.

DeathStriker

Post#5 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:03 pm

This Thread/Topic puts my comments found in my Thread NOTICE: Disney Has Cut Off All Communication With Players in a new light and adds more fuel to the speculation.

It is my sincere hope that SWC stays for another two more years, but with Disney able to "cease game operations" with little or no notice one begins to wonder if we should stay or go.

As for me, I am staying, until the end of this year at least, just to see if we get the promised updates mentioned at SWCE 2016 (Armory, New Unit Skins, Rogue One Units, etc.)

And the "disturbance" continues to build...

itsnotwhiningiftrue
Commodore

Post#6 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:08 pm

DeathStriker wrote:This Thread/Topic puts my comments found in my Thread NOTICE: Disney Has Cut Off All Communication With Players in a new light and adds more fuel to the speculation.

It is my sincere hope that SWC stays for another two more years, but with Disney able to "cease game operations" with little or no notice one begins to wonder if we should stay or go.

As for me, I am staying, until the end of this year at least, just to see if we get the promised updates mentioned at SWCE 2016 (Armory, New Unit Skins, Rogue One Units, etc.)

And the "disturbance" continues to build...

They shut down infinity after just releasing $50 figure sets, and having unreleased figures that are still on the way. Stock holders matter, not the players it seems.

Here is the message from 2014 that MAA players got, so atleast they knew that game was not solid. MAA 2 players not so lucky.

DeathStriker

Post#7 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:27 pm

Here is the OFF TOPIC Links to the discussion about Disney Infinity on the now retired Playdom Forum:

Disney is killing its game division. Is the end of SWC nigh?

Adding to this Thread...

itsnotwhiningiftrue
Commodore

Post#8 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:28 pm

DOUBLE UH OH! This was posted at the "official" MAA2 forums today.

By Stephervescent - Moderator (Source: here)
Today we are announcing the shutdown of Marvel: Avengers Alliance and Marvel: Avengers Alliance 2 on all platforms, including the App Store®, Google Play™, Amazon Appstore, Windows Phone Store, and Facebook. Beginning today, we are no longer accepting new purchases or downloads, but the games will be available to play until September 30, 2016.

We greatly appreciate the passion and support of all our players. This was a difficult decision, but we plan to focus our efforts on new games for our fans and community. Thank you for playing.

uh...? " plan to focus our efforts on new games for our fans and community."
Last edited by DeathStriker on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Post to reflect Official MAA Forum to avoid confusion. Added Official Source Link

DeathStriker

Post#9 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:59 pm

itsnotwhiningiftrue wrote:DOUBLE UH OH! This was posted at the "official" MAA2 forums today.

By Stephervescent - Moderator (Source: here)

I find it kind of SNEAKY that Stephervescent posted her "announcment" on Sep 01, 2016 at 12:00 am- that is - at MIDNIGHT - when most MAA1/MAA2 Players and MAA1/MAA2 Forum Members are "asleep and unawares".

Even this post quote from the MAA2 Forum is a bit telling:

Evindently we dont even get September in MAA2. The game will not load without the new update, which itunes has removed from the store.

Food for thought...

DeathStriker

Post#10 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:16 pm

UPDATE:

Slinky (Disney Representative) just posted this on the SWC Official Forum in a Related Thread:

Source: here (See Post #3)

By Slinky Moderator (SWC Official Forum) - Posted on: Sep 01, 2016 at 03:09 pm

Hey guys, just hopping in here to say that we are still commited to supporting SWC with updates and new content. We've been working on some content preview to be posted on the website in a few weeks so stay tuned! :)

Some good news for us at least.

Return to “General Discussions”