Why bother choosing the rebels?

This forum is for sharing tips and guides
dogegriff
Major General

Re: Why bother choosing the rebels?

Post#31 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:37 am

The ratio is something approaching 2/1 Empire bases... the devs have to give Rebs an advantage or we would be fighting Empire vs. Empire, hence the R2 healers; the high Wookie initial health; high hero initial health... all on Reb-side. There is no troop healing save for the drop ships which suck even at max.

Empire's only advantage are hero AT AT and max Vader health.
Imperial squad WAR247 that is (103/2) with four draws in squad wars. Ranked 590th server-wide on SOD. We are a level 44 squad.

MarreOngla
Commodore

Post#32 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:05 am

dogegriff wrote:The ratio is something approaching 2/1 Empire bases... the devs have to give Rebs an advantage or we would be fighting Empire vs. Empire, hence the R2 healers; the high Wookie initial health; high hero initial health... all on Reb-side. There is no troop healing save for the drop ships which suck even at max.

Empire's only advantage are hero AT AT and max Vader health.

You're forgetting that MHCs have a range of 10 AND - just like your EATAT - are healable by your repair droids, who will generally be out of range of most of our turrets. Sure they are slow, but they slowly make their way across our bases taking on 1 or 2 turrets at a time, while being healed by repair droids.

Yes we have med droids, BUT, the troops we pair them with (including our heroes) generally have a range of 7 or less. That means they have to get a lot closer and within range of a good few of your turrets at the same time (all turrets have a range of at least 9). Once that happens, it isn't long before the med droids are dead and then the heavies are dead too.

That said, there is no perfect base layout. You can design a base to beat EATAT+MHCs or Meds+Heavies, but then vader+jet packs or Luke+Jetpacks will steam roll you and vice versa. That's what makes the game interesting is the challenge of trying to find the best attack and defence strategies you can.
Marre Ongla - HQ 10 - 23.1k medals
Crix Madine - HQ 9 - 4.8k medals
SkywalkersPrideare recruiting for active, rebels on android/ios. All HQ levels & medal counts welcome. PM me for info :)

dogegriff
Major General

Post#33 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:28 am

Agree 100% on base layout. This game is massively offensive-oriented. It's really hard to not get three-starred by an equivalent base. You probably know a lot more about the game, so I listen to what dad days.

My dad has run game simulations on a AIX machine for weeks at a time. The game can be broken in a few minutes (optimal f) he says. He doesn't use MHCs anymore and he's maxed. I don't doubt what you are stating, but he doesn't use 'em. I don't know exactly why, but their health is low and they get raped by SC heavies and esp. snipers.

What is the Reb equivalent to the MHC? Your "big wheel" artillery? Why pick Reb if no advantage? IMO, our only advantage is the elite AT (and Vader, but can't use both) and the devs have given Rebs a massive troop advantage to compensate for the lack of players choosing Reb. MHCs aren't an edge.

On a squad war level the Empire probably has an advantage with hero AT due to shield killing as it's available to all war participants on the Empire. Reb heroes are nerfed by comparison; Vader vs. Chewie and Luke, for example. Regardless, the R2 healer is nutso. It's unfair, but probably necessary due to the > number of Empire bases.

I just asked him and he will only deploy MHC if he can hit the SC with max ties. But then he would have to have them trained in advance and no decent player is going to leave their SC outside a shield.
Last edited by dogegriff on Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Imperial squad WAR247 that is (103/2) with four draws in squad wars. Ranked 590th server-wide on SOD. We are a level 44 squad.

dogegriff
Major General

Post#34 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:39 am

My dad has two starred SpaceBarons guys, one in the top ten, and never with MHCs. >38K contra on one attack. He says that he never deploys MHCs. He hates 'em, anyway. Not to say that's the only way to (not) go...

MarreOngla
Commodore

Post#35 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:39 am

dogegriff wrote:Agree 100% on base layout. This game is massively offensive-oriented. It's really hard to not get three-starred by an equivalent base. You probably know a lot more about the game, so I listen to what dad days.

My dad has run game simulations on a AIX machine for weeks at a time. The game can be broken in a few minutes (optimal f) he says. He doesn't use MHCs anymore and he's maxed. I don't doubt what you are stating, but he doesn't use 'em. I don't know exactly why, but their health is low and they get raped by SC heavies and esp. snipers.

What is the Reb equivalent to the MHC? Your "big wheel" artillery? Why pick Reb if no advantage? IMO, our only advantage is the elite AT (and Vader, but can't use both) and the devs have given Rebs a massive troop advantage to compensate for the lack of players choosing Reb. MHCs aren't an edge.

On a squad war level the Empire probably has an advantage with hero AT due to shield killing as it's available to all war participants on the Empire. Reb heroes are nerfed by comparison; Vader vs. Chewie and Luke, for example. Regardless, the R2 healer is nutso. It's unfair, but probably necessary due to the > number of Empire bases.

I just asked him and he will only deploy MHC if he can hit the SC with max ties. But then he would have to have them trained in advance and no decent player is going to leave their SC outside a shield.

Yeah, our "equivalent" are the "big wheels", they also have low health, but are faster. Speed is no help when they have to sit still to attack turrets. All that means is they get to their deaths quicker lol. That said, I've started using a couple in my loadout, but I've only got them levelled to 8. They'll be better once I get them to 10. Still won't be healable without those healing ships and I'm not planning on upgrading my starfighter command to 10 any time soon.

Realistically, rebels favour infantry, empire favour vehicles, it's as simple as that. I still think Empire have an easier time of it, but I won't go into any more details, or you guys will get better at attacking me and I wouldn't want that now ;)

As for why choose rebels? It's simple, I usually choose the good guys and everyone likes an under dog :D
Marre Ongla - HQ 10 - 23.1k medals
Crix Madine - HQ 9 - 4.8k medals
SkywalkersPrideare recruiting for active, rebels on android/ios. All HQ levels & medal counts welcome. PM me for info :)

Axeman77
Captain

Post#36 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:51 am

I think both factions have balanced offence and defence options at the moment and adjustments in that area would be detrimental to the game as a whole.

I had two ideas that will seem controversial to a lot of existing players, but I am all for the greater good of the game.
1) Incentivise people to sign up for Rebel with ~2000 free crystals for any new reb player that signs up to allow them to level up a bit quicker & add to the player pool at HQ6 and above.
2) Prevent new players from picking Empire for a limited time period only. (~1 month or something)

None of these will have a direct impact (positive or negative) on established mid-high level players, but maybe something radical needs to be done to re-dress the balance in the force.
Axeman - EPIC-SQUAD - HQ 10 - 20.4k medals
Axeman Lives - EPIC-SQUAD - HQ 8 - 7.8k medals
EPIC-SQUAD are recruiting for active new Empire members on android/ios. HQ5 & above welcome. PM me for info.

MarxHayek
Storm Trooper

Post#37 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:37 pm

DethSkarr wrote:its called strategy,

Imps don't need strategy. Just throw an eATAT and some mobile heavy canon with repair droids, and that's a guaranteed 1-2 star win almost every time. Rebel base layout, SC, etc. is irrelevant. Do you need to trigger SC and droidekas and take those out somehow? Nope, just throw that combo out anywhere on the base and you'll get the win.

I have a level 10 Rebel base (mostly level 8-9 shields and turrets), and yea I get wins, but L10 imps with that that combo ALWAYS get at least 1 star, usually 2.

Playing as a rebel REQUIRES strategy. That's the difference. I can't rely on any loadout to do anything without careful placement and timing and, yes, gotta get that SC cleared and the droidekas taken out early or it'll be a faceplant. It doesn't help that Imp bikes are so much better than the rebel bikes. There are a few ways for dealing with them, but you better trigger that SC and take care of them early otherwise they will come out and wipe out your whole attack force before you even see them.

But that's how it is in the Star Wars galaxy. The rebels are underdogs, always with less resources and fighting for scraps. The Empire has vast resources, superior firepower, and set of units that can take out a rebel base without much trouble - and the commanders don't need a lot of smarts to do it.

DrPain
Commodore

Post#38 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:12 pm

I disagree. As someone who has played almost exclusively Rebel (I dabbled a little when dual faction option was released), imps do require strategy to win against a well constructed base. It took me a good while to learn how to build a proper base. I'm still learning and trying to incorporate new ideas into my base. I can tell you that it takes a lot of thought and time.

If someone is getting rolled regularly with lvl 10 turrets, then their base design is poor. In the last few months, I've been w/o both dekas for long stretches of time and I've done alright on defense.

Vorchild
Commodore

Post#39 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:27 pm

Can we not necro a thread started a year ago and last posted in more than 3 months back? Especially just to troll in a tired topic that never gets anywhere?

Return to “General Tips”