HQ In Corner or Center? Attacks "From Behind" Fixed?

This forum is for sharing tips and guides
YoshackFyre
Commander

HQ In Corner or Center? Attacks "From Behind" Fixed?

Post#1 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:30 am

So I'm trying to figure out whether to put my HQ in a corner and build out around it or leave it in the center and work with my current strategy. I've seen some corner defenses but I heard there was a bug where you can be attacked from behind and enemy troops can destroy your HQ before encountering your defenses. Is that fixed? Then deciding whether to spread walls out individually or make connecting walls I'm unsure of too. There are so many base defense videos and pictures out there but reports of issues with them. I have my base in the center and turrets around it with those under shields if possible. But my resources get looted pretty easily. A base in the corner with resources around it, then turrets, then walls, then non essential buildings looked pretty solid to me, but not if the base can be attacked from behind. But then I need to save up some resources to clear some rocks and junk before I can build that base, and I have a squad war coming up quickly. I am varying my turret types, that seems logical. The mortars are slow but they decimate ground infantry, I feel I should always keep two of those. I know a lot of topics for base defense already, but I mostly just need a decisive answer on "Corner or Center". Then I should be able to do a pretty decent job from there. I'm only just recently at HQ5.

Python6
Commodore

Re: HQ In Corner or Center? Attacks "From Behind" Fixed?

Post#2 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:15 am

There is a buffer around the entire battlefield where units can be deployed even if buildings / walls are placed right up to the edge. if you look closely you will see it as a hashed area that shows up when you move something around in your base. Units can always deploy from that area (prevents someone from filling the whole grid which is technically possible at higher levels). So to answer your question units can deploy from "behind" your base. If you look closely at other corner bases you will see that turrets are normally setup so that if any unit does spawn there that it is met with a lot of fire to discourage people from deploying in that buffer zone. Corner bases have advantages and disadvantages, but at your level I preferred them since I could limit places my opponent could deploy without coming under immediate fire to just two sides of my base. You do have to put some turrets to cover the buffer area and it has to be enough to have a real impact on the attacker but it does work at your level. Go to find me and see what other players in your general medal count are doing to get ideas. Doesn't do you any good to look at higher level players since you don't have the turrets to do what they do and they are fighting a different opponent than you are. My defensive strategies now at 9 are a lot different than they were at 5/6. Find a good squad with a mix of player levels (many of the top squads have developmental squads you can join) that can help with tips and review your replays to provide recommendations for improvements.
Member ImperialNWA Andriod / IOS Imperial Squad
LINE ID is python6swc

GavinNatorRc
Commander

Post#3 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:05 pm

i never had my HQ in the center i have put it in the top corner for a long time but i been doing many types of lay outs i have been going on youtube for the past year now i have the best layout i had it was easy to build and works super well
TheStormWalkers

GavinNatorRc
Commander

Post#4 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:07 pm

ps they can place units behind its a great way to take on a base thats got high defence but he hard to get into
TheStormWalkers

timjohnshort
Captain

Post#5 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:24 pm

I would never put the HQ fully in the corner, it is just too easy for someone to 1 star your base almost instantly. I am a fan of the HQ in the center, and a bigger fan of multiple small bases. But this is best when you have at least 3 shield generators, I can't remember when you get that.

One of the best ways to figure out best defense formats is to attack a lot! You'll figure out real quick what you like attacking and are successful with and which bases you want to avoid. Then...make your base just like that! LOL! Hope it goes well!
Rebel HQ 8 - 5k+ Medals - FarmerWhoopin
proud member of SkywalkersPride

Poops
Storm Trooper

Post#6 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:49 am

I'm currently laid out for resource storage defense and it works quite well. Most people are looking for good loot. At least that's my current experience at HQ5. Both shields on storage, turrets surrounding, HQ is near & in mortar range but blatantly exposed - I mean the second you see my base I'm essentially offring the HQ to you - "but you can't have my money."

It works like 95% of the time. They ignore the easy HQ and throw everything towards getting my resources first. Layout space saved from HQ being a secondary priority let's me play further mind games with turret/trap/wall setup.

Poene
Commodore

Post#7 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:33 am

Poops, I do the same thing. My HQ is completely defenseless and is sitting alone in the utter left corner of the map. My entire base is clumped together in the right corner. All shields and turrets are around my storage buildings. Most of the attackers can not break my base. I also put TIE traps there to kill those powerful platoons of rebel heavy tropers+medic droids.

Funny things is even at lvl 8 half of the attackers don't scan the entire map and don't see my HQ sitting alone. Sometimes I see in replays that the attacker discovers my HQ in the last seconds and then desperately uses his last troops to destroy it... in vain, haha.

syncpan77
Major General

Post#8 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Like was mentioned above, it's very easy to steal something that's right up into the corner be it your HQ, or any resource. Some players have taken to packing tons of Twi'leks and dropping then in the corner and bringing everything down. I use a corner base too but I will only leave the SC and a droideka back there to help repel the Kessen snipe but no resources anymore. Even if it's quadruple shielded and booby-trapped, the Twi'lek's Nova Blaze will take it every time.
EMPandemonium "We're a small squad with a big fight in us."
Leaderboard Rank: #??? - Battle Score: 584,000 - Squad War Record: 61W - 2D - 19L .
Join us today! We need 3 players that love to war daily!

DrPain
Commodore

Post#9 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:25 pm

This is how I would weigh it:

Corner base (=baitable SC, easier to limit where the attack is coming from, easier to distract turrets, easier to steal resources, vulnerable to infiltrators)

vs

Center base (=tougher to bait SC, can be attacked from many different directions, tougher to bait turrets, easier to snipe SC using tie-adv/Awings)

rRr
Admiral

Post#10 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:07 pm

I work with center layout and it doing pretty well. Many of my squad mates use corner, but my central just works fine.
Empire fresh HQ X, 28 000+ medals, living mainly on ErKit.
Contrabant addict (Sentinel @lvl27, Opressor @lvl20).
Sith-Society
LINE: rrr-firstlorder

Return to “General Tips”